Friday, August 24, 2012

CC Cycle 1: Resources We'll Use Year Round

This post will probably be updated as we begin the school year, but here are some of the sources that I know I'll be using as of now. These first three books are ones that Classical Conversations recommends for tutors and parents. I'm happy with them so far!

Of course, we'll use the wonderful CC Foundations Guide, 4th ed. I can't even begin to describe how impressed I am with the Foundations program. 

We love The Jesus Storybook Bible. I get teary-eyed almost every time I read it. The wording is profound, and the illustrations are beautiful. 


Rhymes Round the World is a precious book of poetry for children. It is one of the books that came in the mail from Dolly Parton's Imagination Library. It is filled with poems written by people from other countries. If I can find a poem written in a country that we're focusing on, then we'll read it!

The Story of the World. This is a wonderful resource, but I'm not yet sure if it's the perfect fit for our family. I chose this book for several reasons. I love the way Susan Wise Bauer writes, and I have tremendous respect for her. The book is in chronological order. It's told like a story. It's great! However, we believe that God is the center of everything--including history. This book uses Bible stories as an aside--just as it uses myths and tales as asides...I'm not sure about that. After hearing my concerns, a friend suggested that Mystery of History might be a better resource for our family. I probably won't switch over until next year, since the boys are so young anyway.
Seatbelts, everyone! I remember watching The Magic School Bus in school as a little girl. I loved the characters, and even though I didn't love science, these videos were fascinating to me! We've already been watching these DVDs at home. The boys love them. I haven't yet heard any references to evolution or "millions of years" (concepts my husband and I don't agree with), but if we do encounter them, I'll be sure to point out truth to the boys.

I purchased Usborne's Famous Paintings cards at a homeschool convention this year. I was planning on waiting a couple of years to use them, but Johnathan found them and was enthralled. He loved studying each painting. I was elated! So now, about every week or so, we pull out another picture card to study. Johnathan and Samuel are quickly memorizing the titles of the works and the artists who painted them. I'm an impressed mama! My plan is to continue doing picture studies all year, and I hope to purchase more cards at some point.

Alpha-Phonics. I purchased this recently, but I've always known that I wanted to use this book teach my children phonics. Notice I said book, not program. That's the beauty of Alpha-Phonics to me. Just a child, a mama, and a book. I wasn't planning on teaching phonics to Johnathan at four, but I think he has a different plan. We'll see!

An old photo I found of my "little boys" playing with their beloved bricks! In this photo, they had made a table and chair. :)
We ordered these cardboard bricks from Constructive Playthings a couple of years ago. Our boys have run on them, jumped on them, and knocked them down at least a thousand times. They're still in terrific shape! We'll love using these during Cycle One to construct pyramids, towers, homes, etc. My builder-boys will love this!

I'll update the list as the year goes on!







No comments:

Post a Comment