Friday, August 31, 2012

Latin Noun Cases: Hand Motions


My camera isn't working properly, so my little one can't "model" these motions for you. As soon as I figure out the problem, I'll come back and post pictures (pictures would make this much easier to understand!). I learned these hand motions from a very talented CC mama. I met her at our recent Practicum and she showed us these motions. I wish I remembered her name to give her credit.

The words in bold are the words you say, of course. This looks complicated, but as you read, you'll see it's VERY simple and repetitive. My little Abecedarians love it!

NOMINATIVE: extend left arm in front of you and make a fist; hold it there
SUBJECT: extend right arm in front of you and make a fist; hold it there

You'll have two fists in front of your body. Now retract them!

GENITIVE: extend left arm in front of you and make a fist; hold it there
POSSESSIVE: make a "claw" with your right hand and use it to "grab" the left fist

You'll have a captured left fist in front of your body. Now retract them!

DATIVE: extend left arm in front of you and make a fist; hold it there
INDIRECT: extend right arm in front of you and make a fist; place right fist directly beside left fist. OBJECT: quickly swing right fist away from the left fist.

Retract them!

ACCUSATIVE: extend left arm and make a fist; hold it there
DIRECT: extend right arm out to the right side of your body and make a fist. OBJECT: quickly swing right fist towards the left fist and "slam" into it. Hold your two fists together for a second.

Retract them!

ABLATIVE: extend left arm and make a fist; hold it there
Now everyone's favorite part: OBJECT OF THE PREPOSITION: make a fist with your right hand; place it on top of the left fist. Quickly begin stacking your fists as you call out "Object of the preposition!"

Clear as mud??? :) Hopefully, I can have the pictures up before weeks 13 and 14, when we study noun cases again.


No comments:

Post a Comment