Thursday, August 30, 2012

getting real


Photo

Have you ever had one of those days (or moments) when you gained a clear understanding of who you really are? Well, Week One provided one of those times for me!

As a homeschool mom, I want the very best for my boys! I want them to know everything and do everything that is available to them. But, I realized

that is not going to happen.

Oh, there were so many great ideas! SO MANY! Pinterest, blogs, and other CC moms have given me so many creative ideas and plans. I could envision myself plowing through my day doing all of these great things with my three and four year olds. We would laugh and get messy, and I would be patient and sweet. They would follow my directions. I would rub their little backs while they watched five videos about Egyptians.

Ahem.

Needless to say, that didn't happen.

I eliminated several activities that I had planned, simply because we just didn't have the time. My boys didn't have the attention span.

I don't want to recreate school at home. I want us to LIVE. We simply can't do three activities before lunch that require glue and scissors.

I need to find my limits and delight in them. Psalm 16:6 says, "The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance." (For major encouragement in this area, read this precious post.) I realize that I should educate these boys while being the mom God created me to be. And that "me" is not a mom who loves messes and crafts. Those activities pile on stress for me. And you know what? My boys would rather build or read than glue or cut. Isn't God good?


I have two little boys who need to run and play and cuddle with Mama. That's fine with me!

Week Two will be much more realistic. I'm saying this while in the midst of week one...and I'm already feeling the urge to think,"Well, yes, this week was over-planned and hectic, but OH, LOOK at ALL of these great ideas for next week!" :) Needless to say, you'll find a much slower-paced Week Two on the blog later today. 

"Let your moderation be known unto all men." Philippians 4:5


No comments:

Post a Comment